Saturday, May 05, 2007

Wedding, Dancing, Derby, and More

It's been a while since I posted anything, though I've thought about posting several times this past week.

Wedding update: We now have the invitations and all that goes with them (RSVP cards, Thank you cards, personalized napkins, etc.), we have the cake serving-ware (engraved with our names and wedding date), out matching toasting glasses (also engraved), and the guest book and cake topper. I love the cake topper! It's glass and it's a dancing bride and groom. Very elegant, which goes along with the elegance I've been going for throughout the whole wedding.

We also have chosen all the readings for the Mass and the various prayers. I'm planning on rewriting one of the Prayers of the Faithful to include the names of all our grandparents who have passed away (both my sets and both Chris' grandfathers). And we have asked people to be readers: Chris' sister is doing a reading, my Godfather is doing one, and a friend of ours is doing the Prayers of the Faithful. There are other wedding ceremony things to work out still. I want to write a prayer myself for us to pray together when we present flowers at the Marian alter. Father Frank thought this was a great idea. He has been so excited about everything, its been great!

Dancing: Still working at that. We've been practicing some and we are going to start trying to go to more group classes. We're having some problems with Swing. I asked our instructor how you do a three beat swing step to four-beat swing music. She knows I'm also a musician, so she knows there are some things I'm having a hard time putting together. So she explained how you would only hit a downbeat every twelfth beat. It still feels unnatural. Anyone know swing?? Any advise?

Injured: I had a little accident last Sunday with a sharp knife. Cut my finger pretty badly and cut into the nail, about a 1/4 inch. Luckily it wasn't so deep that I needed to see anyone about it. We finally got the bleeding to stop and get a bandaid on it. But because of the nail, I've been continuing to wear a bandaid. I'm afraid it'll get caught on something and rip off. But I can still play my instrument. Thank goodness, I have a concert this Sunday (tomorrow). That was my first thought when I felt the knife hit my skin. Ugh!! It was NOT pretty.

Yes!! I have a concert tomorrow. We are doing a concert called "Bohemian Rhapsody." We're playing Fucik, Dvorak, Sibelius, Smetana (the Moldau from My Vlast!!), and a flute concertino by Chaminade (which is French, not really Bohemian or eastern European, but a great piece nonetheless). We're also doing this in the Lexington Opera House, which is always fun to play in.

Today was Derby Day. In Kentucky this is an all day affair. We went to a party at a friend's house. It was a lot of fun. We've known a lot of the people there for a long time and it's amazing how much things have changed since we all started hanging out. We started at as mostly singles, now many of us are married (or in our case getting married) and there are lots of kids around. There were 9 kids there under 4 years old and three babies on the way. Anyway, we hung out there for most of the afternoon, watching the Derby pre-game stuff (which starts at noon). And did you know that there are other horse races before the Derby starts? I know that now, but I didn't know that before moving to KY. The big race was around 6:15 or so, then we stayed longer talking with everyone.

We also have a fun way of "betting" at this party. They have four bowls each labeled: Win (green), Place (Yellow), Show (Blue), and Last (Red). The names of each horse were on a piece of paper folded up in the bowl (the paper was color coordinated so later you would know which bowl you pulled it from). To pull a horse you had to put some money in: $3 for win, $2 for place, $1 each for show and last place. If the horse you pulled came in that place then you win the money ffrom that bowl. One person there picked the correct horse for both Place and Last and she won $60!! It's fun and you don't have to know anything about horses to play, which I like.

Oh and one friend there asked me a cute question: How do you know you're at a Catholic Party? The Answer? Lots of beer and lots of kids!! We were definitely at a Catholic Party today!! :)

And in case you're wondering, I didn't win anything ... but I have in past years. Maybe next year. Oh and neither did Chris. So I guess we both lost $7 today.

I think that's the whole update for now. Tomorrow is church and a concert and then back to work (and two weeks off from rehearsals!!). Hope everyone has had a great weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, there is also a race or two after the Derby race as well. It definitely is turning into a true Catholic party these days with the addition of all the little ones. It is also a ton of fun.

    How did your concert go on Sunday?

    ReplyDelete