Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Catholic Media Promotion Day











Today is Catholic Media Promotion Day! Check out their Facebook page and “Like” it before midnight tonight (Eastern Time) and you can win a free iPad2. Today, Catholics involved in various media are taking time today to promote their favorite 3 blogs, 3 podcasts, 3 other media, and 3 random Catholic things online, as well as promoting their own projects.

So here is my list of favorite Catholic things. Hope you enjoy and will participate as well.


3 Favorite Blogs
1. Snoring Scholar: just another day of Catholic pondering by Sarah Reinhard. This is probably one of the first blogs I ever found when I first got into blog reading and I’m still following it! Sarah has great reflections and a variety of guest posters.

2. Conversion Diary by Jennifer Fulwiler. I’ve been regularly following Conversion Diary for a few months now but have read it on and off for a couple years. Also great reflections, insightful conversations, and Jen hosts the weekly 7 Quick Takes every Friday. During Lent she is doing a series of posts on the Our Father word by word that has been very interesting.

3. Fear Not Little Flock: anonymous thoughts on family, spirituality & religion from a Catholic priest’s wife. This blog is a more recent find for me and one I've really enjoyed following.  It's interesting to read and learn about a different Rite within Catholicism.

3 Favorite Podcasts
One caveat about this category: I am still new to podcasts. But here are three that I am enjoying so far.
1. Among Women. I’ve only listened to two episodes so far (have 5 waiting in the queue) but I’ve really enjoyed it.

2. Catholic Moments Podcast. Another great one to check out, contains short segments by regular guests as well as good discussions.

3. Faith & Family Live! Podcast. A fun podcast to listen to; makes you feel like you’re sitting around the kitchen table chatting with friends.

3 Favorite Other Media
For “other media” I decided to go with some of my favorite iPod apps. I don’t have an iPhone or iPad, but I imagine these are all available for at least the iPhone, if not also the iPad.
1. Word on Fire app. This is from Fr. Robert Barron’s ministry. It includes the podcasts of his weekly sermons, links to his blog, videos he has made on a range of topics, articles from his ministry (written by him and the people who work with him), news, and a description of the Catholicism project (Fr. Barron’s latest project) along with the trailer and links out to learn more.

2. Divine Mercy app, from the Marians of the Immaculate Conception. This is a very cool app for those who have a devotion to Divine Mercy. It include the chaplet, excerpts from St. Faustina’s diary, a timeline, biographical info on St. Faustina, a Way of the Cross, explanations of the 3 o’clock hour, a novena and other prayers, and info on the Marians, the Marian Helpers, and the shrine as well as so much more.

3. Mass Times app. You may already be familiar with the masstimes.org website. I love the app as well for when I’m traveling. I can also bookmark entries for churches I’ve been to making it easier to know where to go the next time I travel to the same location. In addition, it also contains the mass readings of the day as well as a Saint of the Day with biography and it contains videos of masses.

3 Favorite Random Catholic Things Online
I chose three websites that I have bookmarked over time that have lots of great info on them.
1. http://www.catholic.org/. Lots of good info: prayers, Lent resources, the Bible, a Catholic Life section, News, Saints, and more.

2. Our Sunday Visitor. I don’t actually use the website much, but I get the newsletter sent to my email each week and I enjoy going through the various articles. If you get the print publication, I believe there is much more in it than what I get in the email version.

3. uCatholic.com. Again, I don’t use the website a whole lot, though it does have lots of good info, but I have also “liked” them on Facebook and I see the Saint of the Day they post each day. It’s a website I really should explore more; they really have lots of great Catholic resources there.

My own Projects
I don’t really have any projects planned at the moment, and definitely not 3. One thing that have been on my mind though is:
A book idea on pregnancy loss from a Catholic perspective. My hope is, should I ever do this, that I can put together a resource not only for parents who have lost a child but also for friends and family who want to understand and be supportive of their loved ones as well as for clergy. Don’t know if this idea will ever come to fruition, but it has been on my mind a long time.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:22 PM

    An excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks!

    And a great list you have there!

    I love your book idea, too! I've had a similar idea, though going a different way with it. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including me- I need to get writing :)

    ReplyDelete