Friday, January 07, 2011

"What are you reading?" Interview Questions

In November I posted about an assignment I had taken on as a new member of the Employee News Blog at my work.  I had asked for suggestions for questions and a few readers offered some very helpful ideas.  Thank you everyone who helped out!!  I thought I would post the list of questions I finally came up with.  I think I'll use this in my first interview and then tweak them from there.  One of goals in 2011, is to finally get on the ball and get some of these done.  (I had wanted to get at least one done before the Christmas break.  Yeah, that didn't happen.)

So, here are the questions I'll be starting out with.  What do you think?

What Are You Reading??

What book are you currently reading and who is it by? Is it for fun or for something else (work or class)?

If Fiction:

Why did you choose to read this particular book? (recommended, like the author, subject matter)

What genre would you classify this book as and have you read a lot of books in that genre? If so, how does this one compare?

Is this a favorite author or a new one for you? Would you read more by this author after this book?

How do you like the book so far? Is it better than expected, what you expected, or worse? Is anything turning you off?

Has the author drawn you in and how?

Who would you recommend this book to or what kinds of people do you think would like this book?

If non-Fiction:

Why did you choose to read this particular title? (assigned it, developing a skill/knowledge in an area, recommended, etc.)

How do you like the book so far? Is it better than expected, what you expected, or worse? Is anything turning you off?

Are you learning what you wanted to learn from this book?

Has the author drawn you in or not? How have they or what could they have done better?

Who would you recommend this book to or what kinds of people do you think would like this book?

For all books, final questions:

Do you have a favorite book, author, or genre and what/who is it?

Can you name a few books that you found boring or too difficult and eventually put down, never finishing?

If you were stranded on a desert island and could take only one book with you, what would it be?

I like these questions so far, we'll see what I think after they've been tested once or twice.  If there is interest here, I can post links to the write-ups of these interviews once they get posted on our employee blog.  I think it's interesting to see what the people who all work with and around books all day long are actually reading themselves!

Thanks again to all those who chipped in with suggestions for things I could ask!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, thanks for sharing... Im also developing a set of questions and your post might helped me identified some of them. I love books and my passion for reading is growing every day. This is my blog dedicated for books:

    http://mgakuwentongbuhayatnobela.blogspot.com/

    All the best,

    Reymos

    ReplyDelete