Sunday, January 23, 2011

A first today ...

So it finally happened to me.  For the very first time.  And it took my totally by surprise!!

I got the belly pat today.  I was pregnant with Zachary for 22 weeks and never got it then.  But here I am at 18 weeks (and some odd days) and it happened.

The thing is, it wasn't actually the baby part of the belly that was patted.  Which just felt totally weird all around.

So okay, I know, I'm pregnant with twins.  No reminder needed, I get plenty of reminders.  Everyone likes to tell me that I'm having twins.  Yes, thank you, I know!  And yes, I am measuring much further along than 18 weeks for a singleton.

Despite all this, the area above the babies is bigger than where the babies themselves actually are.  Things have to shift somewhere in order to make room for the babies.  And that was what someone decided to pat today without invitation.

Honestly, I don't mind.  I know everyone is ecstatic for us and praying for us and wants the best for us.  And I totally appreciate all of that.  What I mind is it being uninvited.  I don't think I have ever done that to a pregnant woman, no matter how far along she is.  But I'm not naive, I know people do it, I guess I just still wasn't expecting it.  Especially right now, when really, the babies are so small that my shifted organs are looking larger than they are.

Oh well, what can you do.  I didn't really have a chance to do much.  The person who did this today did so as she walked by me while I was talking to someone else, and about to move out of the church pew I was standing in.  Come to think of it, I was probably using my hands as I spoke, I'm surprised I didn't accidentally hit her.  Not because of the "belly pat" but just the direction I was moving, where she was standing, and where my hands were at the time.  Would have been totally accidental, I promise.  Luckily, it didn't happen.

In other news, my husband and I attended our newest nephew's baptism and we were also the Godparents.  We now have three Godchildren between us (two we have in common and I have a Godson who lives in South Carolina).  In a way this was a first too.  This is the first actual relative we are Godparents to.  It was nice to see everyone and see our nephew for the first time.  He did a good job through most of the baptism: he didn't seem to like the water being pored over his head and he was getting hungry by the end, but otherwise he did well.  He was pretty alert at the beginning.  I'll post one or two pictures once I get them downloaded from the camera.

Welcome to the Catholic family, Joseph Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment