Monday, January 28, 2008

Blue 2.0: RSS Feeds

This is another post on the Blue 2.0 program I am participating in at work.

One of our topics for this two-week session is RSS feeds. I have been using Bloglines for RSS feeds for a while now. I forget when I first set it up, but I believe I've had it for at least a year if not longer.

The best part about using Bloglines is that I can keep up with news and weather plus my favorite blogs all in one place. And I can organize the various fields in folders by topic. I have four folders: Catholic blogs, Friends blogs, Library blogs, and News.

One of my favorite feeds is my CNN.com feed to the top headlines. Although the entertainment headlines are annoying, so I've been toying with the idea of deleting that feed and subscribing to the international headlines and national headlines feeds only. With this feed I did change the order they show up in. Rather than the newest one on top I reversed it so that I can scroll down the headlines in the order in which they appear. I also like the feed I have set up for the Weather Channel, I check it regularly to see the temps at any time.

My Library feeds include: Inquiring Librarian, The FRBR blog (a great place to go to get regular updates in the world of FRBR), Catalogablog (a great cataloging blog), and, of course, the Blue 2.0 Blog!!

I have several other blogs that I subscribe to through Bloglines, mostly Catholic ones. Of all of those, I have one that a seminarian from the Diocese of Lexington keeps as well as many others from around the nation. It's a fun way to meet other people from around the country (and abroad) who have similar values as you.

That's about all I have on this topic. I'll get to the wiki topic later!

No comments:

Post a Comment