Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Lots of Prayers

I am always saying that I don't pray enough. I'm either too busy, or just not focused, or ... well, the list of excuses could go on. That's all it is though, excuses. I'm starting to move past the excuses and just do it. And I've had some friends, both old and new, helping me out.

It's so wonderful to get into a routine!! I need some sort of structure or I just wouldn't do it. And having a prayer partner helps as well!

So I've designated a spot for praying. It's now become my quiet spot for all sorts of things, but that's okay. In my living room is what I used to call my comfy chair. It was my "awesome deal" chair when I first bought it. Now it's my Prayer Chair. I've set up a TV tray next to it where my Bible sits, my Magnificat, and any other prayer book I happen to be using at the time. So nice to have this quiet spot!

So I've actually been praying more. And I've needed it!

First I got started with a novena, which I did with a new friend. She suggested the novena to do and it turned out to be a great one for me. We did the Novena to Our Lady of Sorrows. This was a great way to start trying to make my prayer more routine! It not only included some beautiful prayers, but also some of Hail Marys, some scripture verses for each day, and a short reflection at the end of each day.

Second, I am giving a witness on Thursday evening for a Catholic group I am a part of. I only have around 15 minutes, so I had to really spend some time reflecting on what I wanted to say and boil it down to the most pertinent stuff. I started praying about it. The above novena helped too. I really wanted to give this talk over to God and let Him use me. I hope my words will be exactly what someone needs to hear.

Finally, I was approached to join in on another novena and today was the first day. We made a list of intentions and I think we have about fifteen or more people all participating in this novena together. It will be nice to see what graces come from it.

I think I like the idea of praying with novenas. It creates an expectation that I have something to do for a set period of time, and I don't want to miss a day of it. Before now, I've probably only done about 3 novenas in my life. So this is still kind of new, but I'm liking it so far!

What are your favorite prayers or types of prayers? Do you have a favorite novena you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment