Thursday, October 05, 2006

Traveling and safely in Milwaukee

Wednesday was a long day of travel. It started with my drive to Louisville which took a little over an hour. I was in the terminal (check-in and security was short) by 9:30 or 9:45. My flight didn't leave until 12. So I had a muffin at Starbucks and then walked the airport. I got an hour or more of exercise in before I sat down to wait for my flight to board. The flight to Cincinnati was 20 minutes.

In Cincinnati I had to take the bus from Terminal C (where Comair flies out of) to Terminal A (all other Delta flights and Delta carriers). Terminal A is pretty big so I started walking it as well. My flight didn't leave until 3:20pm, so I had quite a wait. I finally decided to walk to Terminal B (more Delta and International flights). I had a two hour layover, so I got a lot of walking in and had lunch. By the way, if you're ever in the Cincinnati airport for a long layover, there are more food choises in Terminal B than Terminal A. Terminal B even has a Max & Erma's and a Wolfgang Puck Restaurant. I just had Chick-fil-A.

I left Cincinnati at roughly 3:20 and 50 minutes later I landed in Milwaukee around 3:30pm. It was a 15 minute ride from the airport to the hotel. Appparently the Pfister Hotel is the oldest hotel in Milwaukee. If I lean close to my window and look to the right and through a bunch of buildings, I can just see part of Lake Michigan. I'm on the 21st floor.

Overall, Milwaukee is a nice town. It's easy to walk in and not hard to find things. I left the hotel last night and walked down Wisconsin toward a Borders. I figured if there was a Borders, there had to be other things around it. So I wondered through Borders a bit and then found my way to an Irish Pub where I had dinner. I order a Shepherds Pie, which came in this tiny little black cauldren. It was very good and then I finished it off with a Black and Tan Brownie. Couldn't taste the Guinness much in it, but it was good all the same.

The Hotel has wireless, but for a fee. Ever hotel I've stayed at the last few years has had wireless for free. Oh well. I found a cafe where I can get on the wireless and that's where I am now. Having breakfast and playing on my computer.

The hotel is also near the Milwaukee Cathedral, Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist. I called last night and got Mass times and considered going to Daily Mass this morning, but I overslept a little and couldn't make it. I might go over there later just to see it, maybe I can make Daily Mass on Saturday morning.

Today the plan is to take it easy in the morning and then I take a tour of the Irish Music Archives (largest in the world) and then committee meetings, dinner, and an opening reception.

I think I'll go find the Public Library now so I know where it is for my meetings tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good day!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it safely to Milwaukee. It is not a bad town what little I remember about it. Marquette University is downtown somewhere. All I remember is that one of the main roads runs right through the middle of campus. Unfortunately, you have to be careful about hotels because a lot of the fancier ones and even others depending on the city don't have free internet :-( Enjoy the rest of your day.

    ReplyDelete