Monday, October 02, 2006

The Real Presence

I had an interesting thought this morning while I was at Eucharistic Adoration. First I was praying for greater faith in the mystery of the Real Presence (as well as all the mysteries of our Catholic faith) and I was struck by how much we take this gift for granted. My next thought was that being here in front of the Blessed Eucharist is as real as if Jesus walked into the room.

Then I started thinking about the throngs of people that gather anytime the Pope makes a public appearance. How people try to get real close, possibly be able to touch him, and the awe that this figure holds. My mind then wondered to a very different thought: celebrities and other prominent figures that draw a mesmerized and adoring crowd.

All that led my mind to question: Shouldn't even larger crowds than those the Pope attracts (and certainly those that are drawn to celebrities) be attracted to the Real Presence? Not only that, but crowds should be coming to Mass every Sunday to actually receive the Real Presence. The church should be full!

In the Eucharistic Chapel, Jesus is truly there. People should be lining up to get into the chapel even if just for a few minutes. It took me a year and a half to make the committment to spend one hour a week there and now I feel like that isn't enough. I don't think I could get more time in necessarily, but I know that when I feel drawn to visit the chapel, I will make every effort to do so, rather than putting the thought aside because it isn't Monday morning yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment