Monday, January 29, 2007

My night: Intro to the Sacraments

Tonight we skipped Theology on Tap and instead went to Church to hear a guest speaker. The speaker was Joseph Martos the author of Doors to the Sacred, a book that has been used since the 1980s in college and seminary classes to teach the history of the Sacraments in the Catholic church. Mr. Martos teaches at Spalding College in Louisville.

He was an interesting speaker. Tonight's topic was just an introduction to the Sacraments. He spoke about spiritual experiences in our lives as well as very basic things like celebrations and why we have them. He then went through each of the seven sacraments and touched on each one briefly. Tonight was just the beginning. For the next seven Mondays Mr. Martos will return to talk about each of the Sacraments in turn. Unfortunately we won't be able to attend all of them, but I hope to get to at least three or four more. I am definitely planning on attending the session on the Sacrament of Marriage.

I'm now interested in reading the book. I glanced through the table of contents of a copy tonight and it looks very interesting. I enjoy history and I think it would be nice to read about this topic from a historical view point. Should be good reading ... one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment