Saturday, October 27, 2012

Saturday Smiles, no. 17

Andrea del Verrocchio, c. 1475,
public domain
I am currently reading the Gospel of Luke. Each night I sit with it and read some part of it, whether that is one small passage or verse or a whole chapter. Depends on what strikes me. As I read this week this particular passage made me smile:

After all the people had been baptized and Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. (Luke 3, 21-22)

The image of Jesus being baptized and having the Holy Spirit descend upon Him is one that pretty much everyone is familiar with. I was particularly struck with the small phrase "and was praying." Jesus prayed a lot. For some reason I don't think about that fact much. Up into reading this more carefully there were maybe two places in Scripture that I could point to where Jesus was praying.

Goes to show how unfamiliar I am with Scripture.

I like the image of Jesus praying. It's a very important reminder to me that I need to be doing this more. A lot more! Jesus prayed a lot and He was God. Obviously I need to be praying much, much more myself.

Thank you, Jesus, for reminding me how I can better know You.

2 comments:

  1. Back in college while in Australia, we read "Too busy not to pray: Slowing down to be with God". I remember it being a nice read to remind us to slow down and pray. You are more than welcome to borrow. Just know that it is not in American English by British English.

    Thanks for your posts and inspirations! Will post my Saturday Smiles soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dove aspect in this passage stirs up in me the most difficult dichotomy in Christianity. The gentleness of God versus His severity which was not only in the Old Testament dooms for example but was in the largest doom of all in 70 AD when as Christ regretfully foretold due to Jerusalem not knowing the hour of its visitation: not only Jerusalem was destroyed but also over one million people in Jerusalem were killed of both genders and all ages (Josephus). The most difficult dichotomy within Christianity is seen in 70 AD. The dove is perfectly true as an image of God. But Fear of God remains a gift of the Dove...the Holy Spirit Himself.

    ReplyDelete