Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pregnancy Update: Week 38

How far along: 38 weeks, 0 days. Who would have thought?

How big is baby: According to Baby Center, approximately 19 1/2 inches long (like a very long leek) and roughly 7 pounds. Based on last week's growth ultrasound I would guess baby is probably closer to 7 1/2 pounds depending on how accurate that scan was.

Cravings/Aversions: Nothing has changed here. In the pizza search saga, I settled for a Lean Cuisine "Deep" dish pizza this week. It was decent, but definitely not what I'm looking for. No surprise there.

Belly Button: Um ... I think I've lost it.

Movement: Plenty of movement, bumping around, shifting around, kicking ... lots going on in there.

Leg cramps/restlessness: Haven't had any leg cramps in quite a while now! Yay!! The restlessness in my legs continues, may even be getting worse.

Sleep: Believe it or not, I think I'm sleeping in somewhat longer stretches and not getting up as much. However, I'm still very uncomfortable and wish I had more flexibility in how I can sleep.

Weight gain: I keep forgetting to weigh myself on my home scale. Or am I conveniently forgetting??

NST: Had one last Thursday, baby was very active. Had another on Monday and again baby was fairly active. I was only in there about 20 minutes on Monday. Next one is Friday morning since Thursday is Thanksgiving. I was kind of hoping that I'd get to miss the second one of this week. Oh well.

Appointment: Monday was my last appointment with Dr. M. I really didn't have any questions, so we chatted some, she measured me (measuring just a tad ahead), commented on the swelling in my ankles and legs (not terrible, fairly normal for this time of pregnancy, but did recommend putting my feet up when I could), and that was about it. Monday night I realized that I forgot to ask about the Group B Strep test. Called Tuesday morning and found out I am negative. Yay!! No antibiotics means I can avoid an IV, though I'm still required to have the heplock in place. Oh, how I'd love to avoid an IV all together. Anyway, we finished up the appointment, wished each other luck, and said that maybe we'd see each other on the maternity floor. Haha! Next appointment is next Monday with Dr. H.

The Big Brothers: When I picked up the boys at daycare on Tuesday their teacher was telling me about how cute they had been all day. There is a little step stool by the window and they spent part of the day standing on the top step of it together watching the cars on the road, looking at the Christmas lights next door, and watching the rain. She said they were there forever and looked so cute together. Then they spent a large portion of the afternoon holding hands the whole time. So sweet!! They each came home that afternoon with a little book they had made called Peter's [Ethan's] Book of Blessings. I love them!!

Names: Hubby seems to have given up trying to come up with a different boys name. We might be settled!!

To-Do List:
In progress/finished:

  • Pediatrician: Met with another pediatrician last Friday and I really liked her a lot. I believe we have found our new doctor. She mentioned one thing that might be a concern, but it really had nothing to do with her specifically, more a policy under discussion for the clinic as a whole. For now, I'm not going to worry about it.
  • I mentioned in my last to-do list that we completed the labor class. Well, as a result of that class, we also started discussing the possibility of hiring a doula. We decided to go ahead and do that and I've now hired someone and will be meeting with her soon, hopefully this weekend.
  • Plans for the boys: coming together.
  • Sort of still reading through the various birthing books I have. I've been a little lazy about that lately.
  • Baptism scheduled, etc. Details still to be worked out.
  • At work I have completed all my staff performance evaluation forms (not an easy task this year since the university implemented a new form and isn't releasing it to everyone until mid-December; I had to do a lot of asking around to get them early); I also completed all my travel paperwork for a conference in February and got registered for the conference, and I submitted a proposal for supplies for a project that will be on the top of my to-do list when I return in March. I'm very close to having all loose ends at work tied up.
  • Annual Christmas letter is written, just need to print and do the Christmas cards.
Still to do:
  • Stroller
  • Go through all our newborn clothes
  • Rearrange baby's room (disassemble one crib)
  • Move car seats around
  • Pack a bag for the hospital
  • Christmas cards!
  • Wrap Christmas gifts!
  • Finish Christmas shopping
Looking ahead: Oh my goodness, we're going to have a baby soon!! And it could be anytime. Will I be writing a 39 week update? Only time will tell. (Honestly, I feel like I will be, but who knows.) Starting next week, Hubby and I are switching cars so that he'll have the van (and the car seats) with him. Which means he gets to be on the day care run each day. But it also means that I won't have to worry about the boys if I go into labor at work (and I'm only down the street from the hospital too). I've put together my list of important info and I've started making more definite plans for the boys. I've also started a list for Hubby of important phone numbers and such. We're definitely coming down to the wire.

Prayers: Prayers are appreciated not just for me but for many others I know who are all having babies soon. It's actually quite a few. I'm praying specifically for my prayer buddy A, who really needs a miracle right now. Please add her to your prayers as well if you could. Thanks!!

Hope to be back for a 39 week update!! Have a happy Thanksgiving!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving as well! Looking forward to update week 39 and baby week 40! Prayers and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pack that hospital bag ASAP! :-)

    ReplyDelete