Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pregnancy Update: Week 23

How far along: 23 weeks!! I've never gotten this far in pregnancy without either losing a baby or having some sort of intervention to keep the pregnancy going. This is all new territory. It feels like I'm experiencing pregnancy for the first time.

How big is baby: Baby is about 11 inches long and a little over a pound. According to babycenter.com, the baby is about the size of a large mango. I've never seen a mango anywhere near 11 inches, so I assume they are comparing the weight. Although that seems a stretch too.

Pregnancy Symptoms: Still about the same, practically none.

Food aversions/cravings: Again, not much here.

Weight gain: I forgot to weigh myself this week, but I'm guessing I'm still in the 10 pound area. Heck, due to the "stomach issues" I've been having for several days now, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm a little less now in the weight gain area.

Maternity clothes: No change. I'm just tired of wearing the same 6-7 shirts all the time. And the laundry that goes with only having 6-7 shirts that fit. I'd like to go find a few more just to give myself a bit of variety.

Belly Button: Pretty flat, but not "popped" yet.

Baby Movement: Love feeling baby moving. And he or she moves a lot! My ultrasounds the last three times have shown baby in completely different positions each time.

Ultrasound/Appointment: Tuesday (yesterday) was another cervical check ultrasound. Previous checks have shown my cervix to be over 4 cm in length, generally around 4.3 to 4.7 depending on the day. This time I measured at 3.5 to 3.6. Normal is between 3 and 4. So I'm in normal range, but it is a little concerning that it has changed this much in two weeks. For now, it's not a concern, but it's something that needs to be watched still. So, the plan is to go back in one week (just shy of 24 weeks) and check again. Generally they do not do cerclages after 24 weeks (viability). If I am still in the same place next week, we may just continue to watch. If I'm around 3 cm Dr. O wants me on progesterone suppositories again (I took them last pregnancy too). If I'm less than 3 cm, I think I may be sent right over to the hospital for a cerclage; though he did not specify.

So at this point, I'm a bit nervous about what the future holds and how early this baby could potentially come. But other than the cervix, we did take another peak at baby and he or she is doing well. Baby's butt was down on my cervix, hands and feet were over his/her head, and a little sliver of placenta is still over the cervical opening (still time for it to move).

Names: Still working on it. Hubby hasn't come up with an alternative boy name to the one I told him I liked. He still has some time. Otherwise ...

Other things of note: Since moving to our new home I haven't unpacked any of my books yet. I'm thinking I may need to find my pregnancy books and start looking over my copy of The Preemie Primer. Just in case. I also haven't yet asked for a blessing from a priest for this pregnancy. I need to rectify that ASAP!

As always, please keep baby and I in your prayers.

1 comment: