Friday, October 29, 2010

7 Quick Takes vol. 9


~1~

It seems that my blogging has become nothing but doing these Friday Quick Takes.  It's good that I have something to keep me doing a little blogging, but I would like to post other things as well.  I've been pretty busy lately, that hasn't helped, but I have ideas, really I do!  So maybe once I get through all the reading I have piled up on my coffee table, I'll actually do a bit more blogging.  I hope!

~2~

Speaking of reading, I can't believe how much reading I have piled up into my life.  And I can't seem to get rid of any of it.  I have several blogs I follow now and many of those bloggers post much more frequently than I do (adding to my reading and my guilt).  And then there is my diocesan paper, which only comes out twice a month.  You'd think I'd be able to keep up.  Apparently not.  Then there are about 3 other magazines I get, one magazine I just got 2 free issues of, and another that a friend keeps bringing me her old copies of.  Eventually I'm just going to have to skip some of these things.

~3~

Last week I posted about my drive to Normal, IL.  I was there for a conference of the Midwest Chapter of the Music Library Association.  It was a really great meeting.  We had some wonderful programming and it is always nice to visit with other music librarians.  We had a really interesting presentation on collecting for music therapy programs, another great talk about the Circus Collection, specifically the music part, at Illinois State, a very informative talk about Illinois Wesleyan's new Digital Repository, and we were fed well throughout the period of the conference.  I love going to these type of meetings and I really feel that I came away with a lot from this one.

~4~

Okay, forgive me, but I need to vent!!  I don't understand why people don't get the concept of a pedestrian cross-walk.  Do you know how many times I see people come to a cross-walk and stop 3-5 feet back from the curb and wait??  All the time!  No car is going to stop for you when you are that far back.  The other day I even saw a woman waiting at a cross-walk and she waved a car through that was slowing down for her.  Lady, it is a *pedestrain* cross-walk!  YOU have the right of way.  Why do people not get that?  And it's not just the pedestrians, it's the cars too.  There is a cross-walk near my office that I have to cross to get to where I park.  It's not at a light, so the cars are supposed to stop for you.  I usually walk right into the bike lane (assuming no bicyclists are flying by) and then stop to make sure that the oncoming traffic is going to stop.  Most of the time they just keep going.

By the way, yes, it is the law around here that pedestrians have the right of way at a pedestrian cross-walk.  Where I used to live pedestrians really didn't look, they just walked.  And drivers got ticketed if they didn't stop.  Okay, vent over.

~5~

Tomorrow is the second anniversary of my due date for our first baby.  She was due on Oct. 30, 2008.  Lately I've been thinking about what it would be like to have a two year old right now.  Hard to imagine.  I may have more thoughts to share on this tomorrow.

~6~

Today is the last day of the 40 Days for Life in my town.  Officially I think it ends on Sunday, but the vigil outside our abortion mill was only done on weekdays, so today is our last day.  I heard a story this afternoon on our local Catholic radio station about a life that was saved today.  A young woman was at the clinic today, went in for a little bit and then came out again.  She then left with a friend who had come to pick her up.  Shortly after that one of our local coordinators got a text message from her.  She had looked up the 40 Days for Life online (after seeing it on one of our group's signs) and found the Lexington page and the phone number of the coordinator.  She texted to say that she changed her mind and was going to be talking to her parents to tell them about her pregnancy.  The coordinator sent her the number of a pregnancy help center which the girl thanked her for.  That was it.  But so totally amazing!!  Praise be to God for helping this girl to give her child life.

~7~

After telling this story on the radio this afternoon, the host of the show then talked about how important it was to vote in the upcoming election and to vote for pro-life candidates.  Your vote counts, and not just in the way we usually think about it.  You are also held accountable to God for all your actions in this life, including the people you may help elect to office.  Voting for pro-life candidates is one of the most important things you can do.  On that note, if you are a Facebook user, I encourage you to join the event Vote Pro-Life WAVE through November 2.  There is nothing to "attend" just change your profile picture to one of the "Vote Pro-life" pictures available from now through November 2 and then help spread the wave to others.  All the images may be hard to find, you have to scroll down the page a bit to find the link.  To help you out here is the direct link to the images.  I believe that you do have to have a Facebook account to view the images.

Enjoy more Quick Takes at the very popular Conversion Diary blog.  Lots of great posts!!  You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment