Friday, October 01, 2010

7 Quick Takes, vol. 5: Respect Life Month


Since this Quick Takes falls on the first of October, which we celebrate as Respect Life Month, I thought I would dedicate this post to that commemoration. For more Quick Takes posts, check out ConversionDiary.com.

~1~

One of my favorite Mother Teresa quotes:
Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use violence to get what they want. That is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion.

~2~


As you drive up one of the main roads that can be used to get to my church you come up the hill and find yourself at a fork, with the Church right in front of you. In the space between the where the roads split and the church building itself is a large green lawn. Every October we place white crosses in that large space as a tribute to all those lives lost to abortion. I have always found it such a great silent testimony for all those who pass by our church every day. I'm expecting that we'll start putting them out on Sunday after Mass. In the picture on the right from our wedding (we got married in October) you can see some of the white crosses in the lawn behind us.

~3~

The national campaign 40 Days for Life is also going on. Are you participating? My city has one abortion mill and we have people sitting outside of it every day praying for an end to abortion. I haven't been able to get myself to actually go there and watch people enter those doors. One day I hope I can, but to be sitting there knowing that I so want to be pregnant and have to watch others destroy the life they are carrying is too much for me right now. But I'm praying for all those who are there praying, all the women who feel that abortion is htere only choice (that they will be educated about their real choices), and for an end to abortion. If you can't participate yourself, I encourage you to offer some of your prayer time or make some sort of sacrifice for an end to abortion.

~4~

Did you know that 80-90% of children who are diagnosed with Down Syndrome before birth are aborted? 80-90%!!! That just blows my mind! This week I heard that the Down Syndrome Association of Central Kentucky was having a "Buddy Walk" this Saturday. I can't participate this year, but I am definitely planning on it for the future. I believe the Buddy Walk is a national event so there may be one near you too. It's worth checking out. If you can't do the walk, you can do what I did and make a modest donation (or larger if you are able) here. (That link takes you to my local DS Association, but if you explore the website some you should be able to find the one in your area.)

~5~

I find it fitting that Pregnancy Loss Remembrance Day is during the month of October as well. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. It is held on October 15 each year and I have been participating in lighting a candle for my children the past two years and plan on doing it this year as well. Click here for more information on Pregnancy Loss Remembrance Day.

~6~

Abortion is one of the biggest tragedies in our nation today. However, Respect Life Month is much more than that. The focus on abortion is not meant to diminish the other life issues facing our society today. Not by a long shot. Abortion is just one of many issues, but it is also one that has a far-reaching effect, thus why there is such a focus on it. Cardinal Daniel N. DiNardo, Chairman of the USCCB Committee on Pro-Life Activities, issued this statement on Respect Life Month. In it he addresses a whole host of life issues that we face today. Please take a moment to read it (it's only two pages).

~7~

Finally, I found a wonderful list of resources for Respect Life Month on this website. This was posted on the Diocese of Columbus website under their Office for Youth and Young Adult Ministry. It's a very comprehensive list, totally worth checking out!

No comments:

Post a Comment