Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Portable Traffic Lights

This morning on my way to work one of the roads I regularly travel is being worked on. As I approached the area I saw the construction signs and then a sign indicating one lane road ahead. Eventually I came to a stop. Up ahead I saw something I've never seen before. Traffic signals attached to some kind of mobile unit. Rather than have guys out there holding the Stop/Slow sign and managing the traffic themselves, they had actual stop lights.

I have never seen this before. Definitely a cool idea!!

Oh, and this didn't look like simple construction either. I may be avoiding this road for a while, it looked like they had one lane totally torn apart. Good thing I have several options for routes between home and work.

3 comments:

  1. Which road exactly is this so I make sure to avoid it when I come to town this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liberty Road, between New Circle and Henry Clay Boulevard. I noticed this morning that there is a huge hole in the road, and there are piles of gravel everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of portable traffic lights. Does that mean that the city could choose to remove that stop light from the mobile unit and replace it with construction traffic signs? I wonder if I've ever seen a portable traffic light in my city before. I should keep an eye out for that next time there's road construction.
    http://www.streetsmartrental.com/products/portable-traffic-signals-sales.html

    ReplyDelete