Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mid-May Reflection

Today is basically the middle of the month of May. May is a very special month in the Catholic Church, so I figured this was a good time to reflect on that.

So why is May special?? This is the month where we honor Mary. ALL MONTH!! It makes sense that May is when Mother's Day falls too. Mary is the mother of all humanity, given to us by Jesus himself during the crucifixion. She also leads us directly to her Son, the most obvious example being at the Wedding at Cana when she says, "Do whatever he tells you."

During Lent, Chris and I tried saying a daily Rosary. We did pretty good for a while, but the last week or so I think we both kind of fell off from the practice. And I admit that I think I missed at least one day every week of Lent.

Interestingly, Mary must be on both of our minds again. Hmm ... and it's during the month where we honor her. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. Anyway, I finally sat down and started writing the prayer Chris and I plan on offering to Mary during our wedding Mass (it still needs some work) AND Chris asked me about the daily Rosary again. So we decided this was a good time to start saying it again. We both find it easier to do together, and he finally agreed with my suggestion that on the nights we don't see each other, we should still pray it together over the phone. We also know that if this is going to be a daily part of our married life, we need to make it a part of our daily life now too. I think our renewed committment will really work this time.

I also made a donation this week to a Catholic radio station that is in the midst of it's pledge drive. And, as a result, I'll be receiving a CD of Mary reflections. There are 52 of them, one for each week of the year. I'm looking forward to getting it.

One more reflection: Spring is certainly here. And we are getting very cool days mixed with very warm days every week. The weather always seem to beautiful!! What a wonderful time to remember someone as special as the Mother of God and the Queen of Heaven.

If you want more info on Mary check out these links:
http://www.theholyrosary.org/
--The above website explains the Rosary plus has links to information on Fatima, the Immaculate Conception, and much more. Reading about Marian Apparitions is so cool; I especially like Fatima, but there are so many more great stories (even one in Ireland!).

http://www.catholic.com/library/Mary_Mother_of_God.asp
--This website is from Catholic Answers. Lots of good information, plus more links at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment